So my cousin's toddler, Shiho, is expecting a little sister next month. Since I've already taken a crack at making a blanket for him, I saw this as a great opportunity to try making a patchwork quilt for the baby on the way.
I started with a specific fabric I liked:
And then I chose other fabric based on the colors in the first fabric:
Looked pretty good so I continued to cut and sew away.
Betsy's mad I'm sewing instead of playing fetch with her.
When the patchwork part was done, I sandwiched a layer of batting in between and hand quilted with some bright pink embroidery thread.
Finally, I sewed the binding around the edge with a cotton lace trim. I didn't have the right sewing foot so it was difficult to feed all the layers of fabric and batting together into the sewing machine evenly. There was a lot of swearing involved.
A lot of swearing...
It is 80% perfect. You wouldn't be able to see the mistakes unless you picked up the blanket and really looked at it :| I just hope my future niece doesn't grow up swearing too much because of the negative juju I put into it.