Last month, I worked on my third commissioned wedding project. I was asked to create a wedding cake topper for a couple of lovely gentlemen. While I would have liked to have come up with some more interesting ideas, time was of the essence. I ended up designing a similar cake topper to my cousin Sonia's which the couple, having seen my previous wedding cake topper, were quite enthusiastic over:
The challenge here was to sew not one but two teeny suits on my clothespin men in a short period of time. Initially, I tried to use whatever I had laying around. The closest material to match the navy of their suits was felt. This made them look like they were wearing lounge smokers jackets a la Hugh Hefner. This wouldn't do. I managed to find some navy cotton which worked out perfectly.
The glasses on one of the grooms kept popping off. There was no time to drill holes on the side of his head to secure the wire spectacles so I had to add little ears for the glasses to rest onto. This turned out to be one of my favorite details.