Sunday, October 30, 2011

Helen's tree costume.


I helped my friend, Helen, shop for a Halloween costume one day after work. She was telling me how she got invited to a costume party and the girls attending would most likely be dressed in sexy costumes. Given the price, the quality of store bought costumes aren't great at all. The cuts are unflattering even if you have the body of a super model. I don't like how Halloween is an excuse for girls to dress as their sluttiest. Costume companies have even managed to sexify The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Ew.

After an unsatisfying session of trying on costumes, I told Helen
I hardly ever buy costumes. I usually use what I have at home and make accessories. It ends up costing much less and the costume is guaranteed to fit. Plus, you get a costume that's 100% original and customized for you. We walked back to her car where she showed me a couple dresses she had. She pulled out a brown J.Crew halter dress with texture throughout.
"Do you think this could be anything?" she asked.
"I dunno... " I said, "A tree?"


I wasn't being serious but she thought it was a great idea! We went to the craft store the next day to gather supplies. Helen decided she'd like to be an autumn tree, much more colorful and interesting. This was great because all of the fall foliage items in the floral section of Michael's was on sale for 50% off.

The mask:


The head piece:


Hot glue, hot glue, hot glue! My favorite part of the head piece is the bird's nest with bird hanging out in it.


I make Helen look good.

No comments:

Post a Comment