Tuesday, December 08, 2009

postcard from Las Vegas.


[This is how you win 80 cents.]

Yes, it is that time of year again. For some reason, the bulk of my travels happens in the winter. This year is no exception as my first trip this season was to Las Vegas for work. Vegas doesn't register as a city to me. It's more like a giant adult theme park as nothing is real and all the buildings look like sets and props on a movie production. What I DO look forward to are the over sized tubs in the bathrooms of the Bellagio hotel rooms and the food. Mind you, I am not a foodie but I do appreciate good meals. So please excuse my inability to articulate the tantalizing tastes I experienced during this trip :P

[Tuna tuna salmon + chocolate mousse cake]

The co-workers and I headed to Japonais at the Mirage for dinner. My cube-buddy and I had the best pork buns there the previous year and were totally craving for some. I know there's a location in the city but I haven't been and am not sure if the food is just as good. They offer a variety of appetizer-like portions. The favorite for the night was their tuna tuna salmon drizzled with wasabi sauce. No soy sauce needed. Once you managed to stuff the tuna tuna salmon into your mouth, fish fell apart in and melted into deliciousness. Also had their tuna ceviche which had a great citrus flavor. Ended the meal with chocolate mousse cake with gold leaf. Not sure why gold leaf would make a meal seem more appealing or tasty. The chocolate mousse did that on its own. It was light and fluffy. It's great feeling full after dinner but not fat and heavy like, "Oh man, I REALLY shouldn't have done that..."

[Happiest fish Koi I ever did see + lovely lantern ambient lighting]

Dragon Noodle Co. is located at the Monte Carlo hotel. My co-workers were attracted to their sign for pork buns but much to our disappointment, they only served them for breakfast. They made up for it with their fantastic Chinese food. Food in the menu was mostly things you could find in any take out menu. However, it was a lot less greasy and heavy as regular Chinese take out. The meal, again, felt light yet very satisfying.

Vegas, I like you only a little bit because of your food. While you may try to attract people with your flashy lights and "GIRLS GIRLS GIRLS!" (btw, why not "BOYS! BOYS! BOYS!"?), it's substance I like. Maybe next year, you can try to charm me with one of your shows as I've yet to go see one. We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment